One of my all time favourites, lemon meringue pie – this is a must to try making. The recipe was shared by my mother-in-law sourced from The Australian Women’s Weekly. I’ve since made a few modifications to the original, updated now below.
What do you need to make a lemon meringue pie?
- White Wings Bakeo Biscuit Base Mix
- 4 tablespoons of butter or margarine spread
- 1 baking sheet of paper
- 20 or 23cm loose base tart/flan/quiche pan
Lemon and meringue ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) water
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 60g unsalted butter, chopped
- 3 eggs – separate the yolks from the egg whites
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar, extra (to add to the egg whites for the meringue)
- Prepare the White Wings Bakeo Biscuit Base. Melt the 4 tablespoons of butter or margarine spread.
- Place the biscuit base mix in a mixing bowl and add the melted 4 tablespoons of butter or margarine spread and mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Cut a baking sheet of paper into the shape of a circle to fit in the base of your tart/flan/quiche pan.
- Insert your baking sheet and then press the biscuit mixture firmly over the base and sides of the ungreased pan, using the back of a glass.
- Put the biscuit base covered pan in the fridge for 30-minutes before adding the lemon meringue mixture.
Lemon meringue steps:
- This next step happens quite quickly, so don’t get distracted doing other things in between. Combine cornflour and sugar in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in juice and the water until smooth. Cook, stirring, over high heat, until mixture boils and thickens.
Reduce heat; simmer, stirring, 1-minute. Remove from heat; stir in rind, butter and egg yolks. Cool for 10-minutes.
- Spread lemon filling into the biscuit base pie shell. Cover; refrigerate for at least 2-hours. Do not use glad wrap or foil as this will stick to the lemon mixture so use a raised plastic cover, like a microwave cover.
- Preheat oven to 240°C/220°C fan-forced.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add the extra sugar, beating until sugar dissolves.
- Roughen surface of lemon pie filling with a fork before spreading the meringue mixture on top. Bake for about 2-minutes or until the meringue becomes browned lightly.
- And viola, your lemon meringue pie is ready!
Preparation time: 30-minutes (plus at least 2-hours refrigeration time)
Cooking time: 30-minutes